AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY: A SYSTEMS APPROACH - the leading authority on automotive theory, service, and repair - has been thoroughly updated to provide accurate, current information on the latest technology, industry trends, and state-of-the-art tools and techniques. This comprehensive text covers the full range of basic topics outlined by ASE, including engine repair, automatic transmissions, manual transmissions and transaxles, suspension and steering, brakes, electricity and electronics, heating and air conditioning, and engine performance. Now updated to reflect the latest NATEF MAST standards, as well as cutting-edge hybrid and electric engines, this trusted text is an essential resource for aspiring and active technicians who want to succeed in the dynamic, rapidly evolving field of automotive service and repair.
Automotive Textbook Author and Auto Tech Instructor
Part I: AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY.
1. Careers in the Automotive Industry.
2. Workplace Skills.
3. Basic Theories and Math.
4. Automotive Systems.
5. Hand Tools and Shop Equipment.
6. Diagnostic Equipment and Special Tools.
7. Working Safely In the Shop.
8. Preventative Maintenance and Basic Services.
Part II: ENGINES.
9. Automotive Engine Designs and Diagnosis.
10. Engine Disassembly and Cleaning.
11. Lower-End Theory and Service.
12. Upper-End Theory and Service.
13. Engine Sealing and Reassembly.
14. Lubricating and Cooling Systems.
Part III: ELECTRICITY.
15. Basics of Electrical Systems.
16. General Electrical System Diagnostics and Service.
17. Batteries: Theory, Diagnosis, and Service.
18. Starting and Traction Motor Systems.
19. Charging Systems.
20. Lighting Systems.
21. Instrumentation and Information Displays.
22. Basics of Electronics and Computer Systems.
23. Electrical Accessories.
Part IV: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.
24. Engine Performance Systems.
25. Detailed Diagnosis and Sensors.
26. Ignition Systems.
27. Ignition System Diagnosis and Service.
28. Diesel and Other Alternative Fuels.
29. Fuel Delivery Systems.
30. Electronic Fuel Injection.
31. Fuel Injection Diagnosis and Service.
32. Intake and Exhaust Systems.
33. Emission Control Systems.
34. Emission Control Systems Diagnosis and Service.
35. Hybrid Vehicles.
36. Electric Vehicles
Part V: MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS AND TRANSAXLES.
38. Manual Transmission and Transaxles.
39. Manual Transmission and Transaxle Service.
40. Drive Axles and Differentials.
Part VI: AUTOMATIC TRANMISSIONS AND TRANSAXLES.
41. Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles.
42. Electronic Automatic Transmissions.
43. Automatic Transmission and Transaxle Service.
44. Four- and All-Wheel Drive.
Part VII: SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS.
45. Tires and Wheels.
46. Suspension Systems.
47. Steering Systems.
48. Restraint Systems. Theory, Diagnosis, and Service.
49. Wheel Alignment.
Part VIII: BRAKES.
50. Brake Systems.
51. Drum Brakes.
52. Disc Brakes.
53. Antilock Brake, Traction Control, and Stability Control Systems.
Part IX: PASSENGER COMFORT.
54. Heating and Air Conditioning.
55. Heating and Air Conditioning Diagnosis and Service.